Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Sounds strange, but tastes great! This is my mother-in-laws recipe and my husband insisted I share it with you! Make sure you serve it with whipped cream on top!
- 21 Ritz crackers, finely crushed
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (8 ounce) container whipped topping (like Cool Whip)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare an 8" pie pan with cooking spray (Pam).
- In a gallon size ziplock bag, crush the 21 Ritz Crackers until almost powder-like.
- Add the finely chopped walnuts and 1 teaspoon baking powder.
- Toss with a fork and set aside.
- In a stand mixer or medium bowl using a hand mixer, beat the 3 egg whites until fluffy.
- Slowly add 1 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until stiff and glossy in appearance.
- Fold the crackers/nuts into the egg whites and pour into the pie pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely in refridgerator and top with whipped topping before serving. (Optional- add chocolate shavings on top). Enjoy!
Very rich and good! I did not crush the crackers until powder like but they were fine crushed. I also used a little maple syrup along with the vanilla. The boys seemed to really like it.