My mother in law gave me this recipe. She has been making it for 40 years! I use it for all of my cakes, I can't stand regular icing. This icing is not too sweet or buttery. This icing does best if cake is kept in the fridge.
- Mix the flour and milk in a small saucepan.
- Over medium heat bring to a slow boil while stirring constantly (use a wisk).
- Boil until thick, remove from heat, place pan in refrigerator.
- While boiled mixture is cooling, using mixer cream together butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- When boiled mixture is completely cool add to butter mixture and beat until very fluffy and thick.