Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another favorite from Nana (DH's mother). I like my own potato salad called Down Home Potato Salad but hers is so good too. Of course, my DH secretly (or not so secretly when we are at her home) prefers his mothers--after all, he's eaten it for 40 something years!
- 3 eggs
- 5 lbs red potatoes or 5 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 2 ounces pimientos, diced (juice and all)
- 1 cup light sour cream (or more to taste)
- 1⁄8 cup light mayonnaise (or more to your taste)
- 1⁄4 cup pickle relish (or more to taste)
- salt and pepper (we like to use lemon pepper seasoning which has both and a nice tang)
- Fill a large stock pot half way with water. Peel and dice the potatoes dropping potatoes in the water as you go so they don't start to brown. Bring to a boil (takes about 15 minutes)and boil on medium high heat for about 25 minutes. Don't overcook them.test a piece after it's been boiling for 20 minutes. Not too soft and not too firm.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, put 3 eggs and barely cover with water. Bring to a boil and as soon as they start boiling, turn off the heat and cover. Set timer for 12 minutes. At the end of 12 minutes rinse in cool water and immerse eggs in some ice water. When completely cool, crack gently on wide end and peel. They should be perfect. Chop eggs and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add jar of pimiento's, 1 cup of light sour cream, 1/4 cup pickle relish, 1/8 cup of mayo. Mix well. Spice to taste.
- Gently stir in chopped eggs and potatoes. If you want it more creamy, add equal increments of each ingredient to get the right amount. Serve warm or chilled.
- Nana says: You can also add some sweet pickle juice for more moisture.