Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
My grandmother used to make three different kinds of gnocchi (potato, spinach and ricotta). If you are not familiar with "gnocchi", they are a type of home made pasta (similar to cavatelli), usually made with a potato or cheese based dough.
- 5 lbs potatoes
- 2 cups flour (approx.)
- 6 quarts boiling water
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 4 cups your favorite sauce
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Boil potatoes until well done.
- Cool just enough to handle, peel and mash thoroughly.
- Place mashed potatoes on a floured board and mix well with flour.
- Knead dough well.
- Roll dough into a"finger thin" roll, and cut into pieces 1-2 inches long.
- Flatten each piece gently with thumb and bring long sides together to form a hollow tube or shell shape.
- Arrange the gnocchi on a lightly floured sheet or board, dust them lightly with flour.
- After shaping all the dough, place about 20 gnocchi into a large pot of boiling, salted water.
- When they rise to the surface, remove them from the pot with a strainer.
- Place in a heated bowl.
- Keep water at a hard, rolling boil and continue cooking the gnocchi (20 at a time) until all are cooked.
- Add heated sauce, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and serve.