Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
My grandmother used to make three different kinds of gnocchi (potato, spinach and ricotta). If you are not familiar with "gnocchi", they are a type of home made pasta (similar to cavatelli), usually made with a potato or cheese based dough.
- Boil potatoes until well done.
- Cool just enough to handle, peel and mash thoroughly.
- Place mashed potatoes on a floured board and mix well with flour.
- Knead dough well.
- Roll dough into a"finger thin" roll, and cut into pieces 1-2 inches long.
- Flatten each piece gently with thumb and bring long sides together to form a hollow tube or shell shape.
- Arrange the gnocchi on a lightly floured sheet or board, dust them lightly with flour.
- After shaping all the dough, place about 20 gnocchi into a large pot of boiling, salted water.
- When they rise to the surface, remove them from the pot with a strainer.
- Place in a heated bowl.
- Keep water at a hard, rolling boil and continue cooking the gnocchi (20 at a time) until all are cooked.
- Add heated sauce, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and serve.