Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
My Nana cooked this on Sunday's in the winter, it has the best flavor. If the gravy isn't thick enough when it's done add a flour slurry to thicken to desired consistency.
- 1 package French onion soup mix
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 lbs bottom beef round rump roast
- assorted root vegetables
- Flour and brown Roast on all sides.
- Mix Water, Soup Mix and Mushroom soup together.
- Add mixture and roast to dutch oven, cover tightly.
- Cook at 300deg for 2-2-1/2 hrs or until internal temp reaches 140deg.
- I add carrots and celery to cook with roast for added flavor, but I cook vegetables for serving separately so they don't get too mushy.
I just got back from vacation with my family and found this recipe to use up a roast I had in the freezer. This recipe is made with items you have right in your pantry. If you don't have French onion soup, just mix up Lipton Dry Onion Soup. I placed everything in my crockpot starting with the vegetables, beef, and then poured the gravy mixture over the top. Cooked it on low for 8 hours and the meat was very tender and the vegetables had a great flavor. Thanks for posting.
I also thought this was great. We love garlic, so I made cuts in the meat and placed slivers of garlic throught out. It was very good. Loved the gravy that it makes. Thank you.
I had a friend who gave me a similar recipe, except you cut the roast into chunks, and you cook for 4 hours. I made it the other day, and used a can of beef broth in place of the water, and I was amazed at how delicious the roast turned out. My husband ate half of the roast in one sitting. Thanks for giving the hint about browning with flower too :)