2 hrs 40 mins
Posted in reply to a request. Tarralli are the traditional Italian black pepper cookies that are usually served with a glass of wine for dunking. Although tarralli are called "cookies," they are really more like a hard biscuit or dry bread stick. Cooking time includes boiling and baking times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small pan, heat the oil until just warm to the touch (maybe 70-80°F), and set aside.
- 2In a small pan, heat wine until very warm to the touch (about 100°F).
- 3Sprinkle yeast over the warm wine and let sit for several minutes until it softens; then stir to mix.
- 4In a large bowl, add all the other ingredients, including the warm oil.
- 5Add the wine/yeast mixture to the bowl.
- 6Use your hands to mix everything well, until a dough is formed.
- 7Turn dough out onto an unfloured board; knead the dough until smooth and elastic.
- 8Place dough in a clean, dry bowl.
- 9Cover the dough with a clean, damp, kitchen towel (not terry cloth), and let rise for about 30 to 60 minutes in a warm place.
- 10Cut the dough into small pieces.
- 11Roll each piece into a long, thin, rope (about the thickness of your little finger).
- 12Cut the rolled ropes of dough into 4-inch long pieces and join the two ends of each piece together so that it forms a round, doughnut like shape.
- 13Continue the rolling and shaping with all the remaining dough.
- 14Heat oven to 350-375°F Fill a pot with water, and bring to a rolling boil.
- 15Drop the shaped dough into the boiling water (a few at a time).
- 16When the taralli come to the surface, remove them with a slotted spoon, and place them on a clean kitchen towel (not terry cloth) to dry.
- 17When all the taralli have been boiled and dried, place them on a cookie sheet and bake them for about 15-20 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown.
- 18Remove from cookie sheet and cool on a rack.
- 19When cool, serve with a glass of wine for dunking.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nana's Pepper Cookies "tarralli"
Serving Size: 1 (1075 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 935.2
- Calories from Fat 260
- Total Fat 28.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 588.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 134.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 21.0 g