1/2 Photos of Nana's Pa Dutch Potato and Bread Filling
1 hr 5 mins
This is my Nana's mother's recipe, which was probably her mother's (who only spoke Pa-German). Nana made this every holiday with turkey and ham. It's a bit of work, but well worth it. Nana always made it the day before and baked it the day of eating it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and cut up
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3 cups finely chopped celery (use the leaves also)
- 2 cups finely chopped sweet onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 7 -8 slices toasted white bread, cut into small cubes
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1Boil potatoes until tender; drain. Place in large bowl and mash with 4 tbsp butter, milk and chicken stock.
- 2While potatoes are cooking, in a large skillet over med-high heat, melt 3/4 cup butter; add chopped celery, onion, and parsley; sautee until tender -- about 7-10 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and add the toasted bread cubes. Cook, stirring frequently, for another 4-5 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat and fold into the mashed potato mixture. Fold in the beaten eggs and stir everything together well.
- 4Pour into a greased/sprayed 13" x 9" (or larger) pan. Cover and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until lightly browning on top.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nana's Pa Dutch Potato and Bread Filling
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 304.0
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 73.6 mg
- Sodium 320.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 6.9 g