Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A lovely twist to comfort food at its best. Wonderful gravy. Overall a hit and stays with the family as tradition.
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sweet bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 whole mustard seeds
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb shiitake mushroom, sliced
- 1 lb portabella mushroom, sliced
- 1 lb chanterelle mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon marjoram
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef or 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mixx all ingredients very well. Bake in a 4 x 4 x 9 inch baking pan. Bounce pan on counter until packed, then bake for 50 minutes.
- PREPARATION OF THE SAUCE:.
- Heat oil in pan, add garlic and mushrooms and salt and cook until soft. Add marjoram and remove from heat. Use equal parts of meatloaf fat and flour and make brown roux in heavy saute pan over medium high heat. Add stock while stirring, then strain. Return gravy to pan, add mushrooms and reduce until thickened. Season with fresh pepper.
I made this last night and invited my neighbor and children over and it was very, very good. I differed from your recipe a small bit because I only had 2 pounds of beef and didn't have any of the chantarelle mushrooms and only a little less than 1/2 lb of the portabello's. However it didn't effect the recipe that much in our opinion because we all really enjoyed it. I used homemade beef stock instead of vegetable and it made a sauce even the kids loved. Thanks for recipe.