Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
When Nana gave me this recipe she only gave me the ingredients, but no measurements, so feel free to change things to your taste. It is best to refrigerate this salad for at least an hour to let the flavors blend. Great the next day!
- 2 cups macaroni, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can baby shrimp
- 1⁄2 teaspoon beef bouillon powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon season salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 sweet pickles, chopped
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons pickle juice
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain and cool.
- Add the shrimp, beef bouillon powder, season salt, garlic powder, pickles, onion, and pickle juice. Blend well.
- Chill in refrigerator for about one hour.
This salad has a much nicer flavor than the typical shrimp salad made with mayo and mustard for the dressing! I made this salad with 1 lb raw shrimp, split lengthwise, boiled about 3 minutes in 1 cup dry Vermouth seasoned with 1/2 tsp salt, and a PINCH of red pepper flakes. I probably used more sweet pickle than called for, and less onion ~ made with tiny bow tie pasta. Tagged for PRMR September 2012.
I really liked this salad. I mixed all the topping ingredients together before putting on the macaroni and shrimp. The topping was great. Put in refrigerator for over an hour. The flavor was not enough for the amount of macaroni and shrimp. Next time I would leave the mayonnaise amt the same but double the amount of spices. Made for PRMR.
I also halved the recipe, but used a whole can of shrimp. The bouillon powder and garlic powder add the perfect seasoning. I also used sweet relish and I am not a big fan of pickles in salads, so would leave that out next time.