Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Macaroni and cheese is one of my favorite comfort foods...and my nana makes it just right.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 gallon whole milk
- 2 lbs Velveeta cheese (shredded)
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 13 1⁄2 ounces evaporated milk
- Boil macaroni according to package directions (recommend: less time for firmer noodles) and drain well.
- Pour macaroni into a large (13x18-inch or 13x19-inch) baking pan.
- Add cheese and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs with a splash of milk. Beat thoroughly, and pour over the macaroni-cheese mixture.
- Add evaporated milk.
- Pour whole milk into the pan until the macaroni is completely covered. note: nana performs a "spoon test" - rest the spoon on the macaroni and if the milk covers the spoon you should have about the right amount.
- Bake at 400°F for a minimum of 1 hour. Macaroni and cheese is done when you shake the pan and it jiggles like jello.