1/2 Photos of Nana's Irish Soda Bread With Whiskey Soaked Raisins
1 hr 10 mins
Our family favorite Irish soda bread recipe! Cut into wedges and serve warm with fresh butter as a traditional side to hearty Irish fare such as Stew, Cottage or Shepherd's Pie, or Corned Beef Dinner. Also a tasty tea-time snack served with butter and a dab of marmalade or a drizzle of honey, or with a slice of smoked salmon. Enjoy!
My Private Note
round l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2In a small saucepan or in the microwave, bring the whiskey and honey to a boil and add the raisins or currants. Cover and off the heat. Set aside and let steep.
- 3Butter a round 1 1/2 to 2 quart baking dish, set aside.
- 4Add the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl; use a wire whisk to combine.
- 5In a small bowl, beat the eggs and stir in the sour cream, mixing well to combine.
- 6Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, stir well with a wooden spoon (batter will be thick).
- 7Stir in the whiskey-soaked raisins or currants (along with the whiskey-honey they were steeped in); blend well.
- 8Turn batter into the prepared baking dish.
- 9Dust the top with flour and pat the batter evenly in the pan with your hands.
- 10Use a sharp knife to make a cross on the top.
- 11Bake for 50 minutes in preheated 350 F oven.
- 12Remove to a rack and let cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a serving dish. Cut into wedges and serve warm with real butter.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nana's Irish Soda Bread With Whiskey Soaked Raisins
Serving Size: 1 (1320 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3605.8
- Calories from Fat 946
- Total Fat 105.2 g
- Saturated Fat 56.8 g
- Cholesterol 611.2 mg
- Sodium 3635.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 570.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.2 g
- Sugars 209.0 g
- Protein 71.7 g