Top Review by lorelei1
This is a very rich tort. I live in a small town and I couldn't get hazle nuts but I used walnuts and it is so good. It will be a wonderful Christmas tort. I served to the girls I have played cards with for 50 years and they all wanted the recipe.
For The Tort
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups ground hazelnuts
- 4 tablespoons ground breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
For The Icing
- 8 ounces sweet butter
- 1 tablespoon hersheys unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 (16 ounce) box powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso coffee
- 1 egg
- 1 lime, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- For The Tort---.
- Separate eggs.
- Beat egg whites stiff.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and pale.
- Dissolve baking soda with 1T water.
- Add 1 cup sugar to egg yolks.
- Fold in nuts and bread crumbs to egg yolks and sugar.
- Add baking soda mixture to egg yolks.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Pour into prepared cake tins (3) and Bake at 375°F in 3 pans for 35 minutes.
- For The Icing:.
- Cream butter.
- Add powdered sugar and mix, add chocolate syrup, egg and juice of 1 lemon.
- Ice cooled cake and sprinkle with ground hazelnuts.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.