Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
This is my mother's gelatin salad that she always made for holidays -- my sisters and I have continued this tradition since 1968. Please do not leave out the extra sharp cheddar cheese -- the cheese makes this salad! Cook time is the approximate chill time. The number of servings is also approximate. This is pretty served in a trifle bowl, or a large clear glass bowl. -- NOTE: 1/3 cup sour cream can be folded-in with the cool whip to make the fruit salad less sweet --
- 1 cup pecans (Toasted and chopped)
- 2 (3 ounce) packages orange gelatin (can be sugar free)
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple (drained ~ save juice)
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 1⁄4 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese (freshly grated ~ DO NOT OMIT CHEESE)
- 1 (8 ounce) can mandarin orange segments (drained ~ save juice)
- 1 cup maraschino cherry (drained and chopped)
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 (8 ounce) carton Cool Whip (can be fat free)
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream (to cut the sweetness) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Stirring constantly, toast pecans in a dry medium-hot iron skillet until fragrant! Be careful not to scorch them! Set aside to cool, then chop!
- Add water to saved fruit juices to make 2 cups; bring to boil and dissolve gelatin.
- Add 2 cups cold water and cool until partially set.
- Add all ingredients EXCEPT cool whip.
- When thickened but not completely set, fold sour cream into cool whip, then into jello-fruit mixture until well combined.
- Pour into a pretty clear glass bowl, or trifle bowl ~ this makes a large amount!
- Chill for several hours before serving.