William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This delightful trifle recipe was given to me by my Nana in 1953. Nana served this every time we visited her. She learned this from her Mother in England, so it has been in the family for many years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 only 9 inch round sponge cake
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1/4 cup sherry wine
- 3 cups canned mixed fruit, drained or fresh mixed fruit, of your choice
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, homogenized
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1Spread raspberry jam over sponge cakes.
- 2Cut cakes into 1 inch square chunks and place in base of a 2 quart round glass bowl.
- 3Sprinkle with Sherry.
- 4Spread drained fruit over sponge cake.
- 6Using a double-boiler, stir together milk and cornstarch in top portion of broiler.
- 7Heat water in lower broiler, then gently heat milk mixture.
- 8Add cream and sugar and continue to heat until hot, stirring frequently.
- 9In a small bowl, add egg yolks and 1/2 cup of hot milk and stir to blend.
- 10Whisk in egg mixture into remaining sauce, continue to heat and stir constantly until thickened.
- 11Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
- 12Cool for 10 minutes.
- 13Spoon custard over fruit.
- 14Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 16In a chilled mixing bowl, add 1 1/2 cups whipping cream and using an electric mixer, beat until slightly thickened.
- 17Add vanilla extract and beat for a few seconds.
- 18Now add sugar gradually, beating all the while until thickened.
- 19Smooth half of the whipped cream over the surface of the trifle.
- 20Pipe remaining whipped cream decoratively around the edge of the trifle.
- 21Garnish with red maraschino cherries and almonds.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nana's English Trifle
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 640.0
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 29.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 236.4 mg
- Sodium 148.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 41.5 g
- Protein 9.3 g