Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from a collection of recipes from members of The American Rose Society given to me by my mother-in-law in the late 1960's. I started making it for my young family because I was looking for a cake I could make without eggs. It was so easy, so moist and they loved it. We had it for dessert about 3-4 times a month when they were growing up. When we're together, I still make it for them and my grandchildren, who refer to it as Nana's Chocolate Cake. It's been a real hit for over 40 years.
- 6 tablespoons Hersheys cocoa powder
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons Hersheys cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl. Make 3 holes (2small, 1 big) in the mix; put vanilla in one of the small holes, vinegar in the other, and oil in the third. Pour the water over all and beat with a fork or large spoon until all ingredients are mixed. Pour into a prepared (greased and floured) oblong pan (9 x 13). Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 30-35 minute.
- Chocolate Frosting.
- Cook the first three ingredients over low heat until blended. Pour into a bowl and add the box of confectioner’s sugar and vanilla. Mix well until blended completely. Spread over warm, but not hot, cake.
Thanks for this cake, my one yr olds bday party was a hit thanks to you, he has an egg allergy and this cake solved the problem! I made it with 1 and 3/4c sugar instead of 2, and I iced it with just simple homemade whipped cream (heavy cream and a mixer,) and it was great. No excess sugar that my little guy didn't need, and HE LOVED the whipped cream. Great cake, and easy to make!
Sooooo happy that I decided to bake an eggless cake for my birthday. I had a sweet little 2 year old attending that is allergic to eggs. This was the BEST chocolate cake I've ever made. It was so moist, light, rich chocolate flavor...and SOOO easy! Easiest and best cake I've ever made. Not sure why anyone bakes with eggs after this. :) LOVE this cake. I am a routine recipe alterer (always have to tweak it) and I decided to stick to the recipe here (other than some of the tablespoons of chocolate were heaping tablespoons). So glad I did. I did in two 9" round pans (using same recipe). Only filled the pans 1/2 way up (probably not even an inch) so I watched the time carefully to not overdo the cooking (I hate that someone burnt taste some homemade cakes get on the outside). I think they still cooked close to 30 min, but were starting to look dark, so reduced the heat to 320 in the last 7 minutes or so. PERFECT! Rave reviews and requests for the recipe from all partygoers!
This is the chocolate cake I grew up with. It is simple, very moist, and delicious with rich chocolate flavor. A great recipe for budding young bakers. Skip the frosting sometime and try it with a dollop of whipped topping. Yum!