Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
My beloved nana's recipe for red velvet cake.Her recipe notes read "extremely easy, extremely decadent & extremely red cake"
RED VELVET CAKE
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 whole large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups grapeseed oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces red food coloring
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING (double batch for crumb coat)
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line, spray and flour two 9 inch cake pans. Set those aside.
- Lightly beat the eggs with a whisk and then add in the oil, buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla and food coloring. Whisk together until combined.
- In the bowl of your mixer, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix on medium until combined, scraping the bottom of the bowl once or twice.
- Use a measuring cup to divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans. Tap a few times on the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a cake tester is inserted and comes out clean. Depending on your oven, you might want to rotate the pans for even baking.
- Let the cakes cool for 10 minutes in the pans before removing them to a wire rack.
- Once the cake cools it's time to frost.
- THE FROSTING:.
- Combine the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on high until creamy.