Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Chorizo like Grandma Nana used to make. When I was a kid we went camping a lot, and my mom always made Chorizo and Eggs for Sunday breakfast. And I still make it a lot. Nana's chorizo always tasted a little vinegary, so that's the one cup option.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno powder or 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 1 (3 ounce) bottle chili powder
- 1⁄2-1 cup cider vinegar, to taste
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients thoroughly.
- Refrigerate overnight, or longer.
I love chorizo, but always wonder what exactly is in it. I'm so glad I found this recipe - now I can make it from scratch and not worry about what I'm getting. I used 1/2 cup of vinegar as suggested but felt it could use a little more moisture. Maybe next time I'll add a half cup of beer and see how that works. I mixed this with my hands to make sure it was well-mixed, which turned my hands orange (but it washed off with a little scrubbing). The flavor of this was right on - exactly what chorizo should taste like. This makes a lot so I froze half of it for future use.