Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is my mom's chili recipe. Thick, meaty, and good heat without being overpowering. She used Miller Genuine Draft for the beer; I prefer using an Oatmeal Stout for a richer flavor instead.
- 2 lbs ground beef, browned and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 16 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 6 ounces chili sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can hot chili beans
- 16 ounces beer
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 package mild chili seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Brown ground beef with onion and green pepper; drain.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Rinse cans/jars with water if more liquid is needed.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer 2 hours (or more).