Recipe by Betty K. Rocker
This is my Nana Queenie's recipe. I have seen many different variations on this dish, but this is the Soul Food version!
- 1 fryer chicken, chicken cut up
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons seasoning salt
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3 refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (not the jumbo sized Grands or butter flavored)
- 2 tablespoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken pieces in a large nonstick* pot and cover with 2 qts of water.
- Add bay, seasoning salt, boullion, pepper and poultry seasoning.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and continue boiling, skimming off the chicken fat as it rises to the surface.
- When chicken is fork tender, remove all pieces from the stock to cool.
- Bring the stock to a rolling boil.
- While chicken is cooling, flour a surface for rolling out biscuits.
- Roll each biscuit out until it doubles in size.
- Cut each biscuit into 4 strips with a sharp knife.
- Drop one at a time into the boiling stock.
- Repeat until all biscuits are added, stirring after each biscuit is added.
- Remove and discard all skin and bones from cooled chicken and tear meat into bite sized pieces.
- Return deboned chicken to the pot with the dumplings and lower heat.
- Simmer for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- *Monitor heat and stirring closely as the stew can burn on the bottom. A nonstick pot works very well but a regular pot requires closer supervision.