Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
My grandma made us these doughnuts every Saturday when we were kids. I hope you like it as much as I did.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- Into a bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt.
- Cream shortening; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add egg; beat well. Stir in vanilla.
- Add buttermilk alternately with dry ingredients; stir just until well blended.
- Roll small quantities of the dough at a time, to about 1/3-inch thick.
- Cut doughnuts with a 2 1/2-inch cutter and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Fry in hot fat at about 365°F to a nice golden brown. Turn once.
- Fry only 3 or 4 batches at a time to keep fat from cooling down.
- Drain on paper towels. Glaze if desired.