7 hrs 30 mins
Shana C's Note:
This is my grandmother's brisket recipe and the sauce is especially good on kasha varnishkes. I like making it in a crockpot, but my mother still makes it on the stovetop or in the oven, which are both good options. If you can't find Washington's Rich Brown Seasoning (try online), beef bouillon powder can be substituted (but it won't be as good!) The sauce is thin, and I've tried thickening it before, but it isn't as good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Trim some of the fat from the brisket and brown it in olive oil.
- 2Rub Brown Seasoning, paprika, salt and pepper onto the brisket.
- 3Put 1/2 cup chicken broth, 2 of the sliced onions and the garlic on the bottom of a crock pot.
- 4Place the seasoned brisket on top, and cover with the remaining onions.
- 5Cook on high for about 6 hours.
- 6Remove the meat and slice thinly on the crossgrain.
- 7Place sliced meat back in the crockpot with the remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth.
- 8Cook for about another hour until the beef is tender but not falling apart.
- 9Serve with kasha varnishkes.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nana's Brisket
Serving Size: 1 (447 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1000.0
- Calories from Fat 726
- Total Fat 80.6 g
- Saturated Fat 32.4 g
- Cholesterol 220.7 mg
- Sodium 324.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 53.2 g