1/2 Photos of Nana's Beef & Barley Stew
2 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Aunt Willie's Note:
This comes from my grandmother's shoebox of recipes -- and it is good! Perfect in the winter with a nice green salad and plenty of crusty bread. This makes a huge pot -- I usually freeze some to have on hand for a quick dinner. I have also added leftover corn or green beans to this and it is still fabulous. It is not a lot of work -- just the simmering takes some time. But it is worth it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, chopped coarsely
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cubed (chuck or round)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth (I have used 4 beef bouillon cubes dissoved in 1 1/4 cup boiling water for this)
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
- 4 celery ribs, trimmed and cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms
- 1 cup pearl barley, cooked to package directions
- 1Heat olive oil in a large heavy pot.
- 2Saute chopped onion, mashed garlic and beef until beef is browned on all sides.
- 3Add beef broth, water, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper.
- 4Bring mixture to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer.
- 5Simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- 6Add carrots and celery and simmer an additional 30 minutes.
- 7You may have to add some more water at this point.
- 8Add mushrooms and cooked barley, simmer another 15 minutes.
- 9Remove bay leaves and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nana's Beef & Barley Stew
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 596.3
- Calories from Fat 308
- Total Fat 34.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 101.3 mg
- Sodium 456.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 34.6 g