Named after the city of Nanaimo in British Columbia. Cooking time is time to chill. Posted for ZWT II '06
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate (1 oz squares)
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Combine ingredients. Press into 9 inch square cake pan. Chill.
- Combine butter, milk, and custard powder. Blend in confectioner's sugar. Spread over base. Chill at least 15 minutes.
- Partially melt chocolate and butter. Remove from heat and stir until melted. Spread over custard layer. Chill.
- Store in refrigerator, covered, up to 1 month. Makes 24 bars.
- Serve chilled. They're rich, so small portions may be appropriate.
- Variation: Add peppermint extract and green food coloring to the middle layer.
Very concerned about the raw eggs....Patti
I am from Nanaimo. These might be good, but not a true Nanaimo Bar. Sorry.
ive never had these before they are good .dee