Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Chocolate and peppermint flavours are added and then swirled together to give a marbled effect. This was my grandmother's recipe so it is ancient!
- 1 1⁄2 cups self raising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 -3 drops peppermint extract
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (for baking)
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- Grease and flour an 8” cake tin, set oven at 200degC (400degF).
- Sift flour and salt, divide into halves.
- Cream butter and sugar until light; add eggs separately, beating well, divide.
- To one bowl add flour, cocoa mixture and fold gently.
- Fold remaining flour and peppermint essence into other bowl.
- Spoon half white mixture into prepared tin, top with chocolate mixture and then remaining white, smooth top and run knife through in a figure eight.
- Bake 50 minutes.
- Icing; Melt chopped chocolate over pan of hot water(or very low in microwave), add cold water, butter and icing sugar and stir until smooth and glossy - use immediately.