It's typical of my Nana not to use recipes. This is the best "guess" on ingredient measurements from her head. My 15 yo son made this for St. Patrick's Day. It came out awesome!!! Note: may need to add more buttermilk a bit at a time. The dough will be very dry and should be on the dry side.
- Mix the first 5 ingredients. Add raisins. Add buttermilk.
- Mix until dough forms. Form into a ball and plop it onto a lightly floured baking pan or stone. Cut top of dough crisscross with knife. Brush with buttermilk.
- Bake at 375 for one hour. If bread gets too brown, cover with foil.
- Because all ovens are different, please watch. When toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean, it's done.
- I found that cutting the bread when warm is easier than when cooled completely.