This is the easiest cake imaginable! Try it if you're looking for a low-fat cake or if (like me) you're wondering when the Cream of Wheat will ever get used up. The texture is like a muffin merged with pudding. It's different than most cakes but well worth trying. I thought of Najwa's Basbousa #12957 when I saw this in the Arab section of RecipeLand. Both are similar but this version has a thicker syrup and calls for Cream of Wheat and yogurt rather than semolina and buttermilk. The almonds on top are a nice touch. I like both recipes and personally think its best to bake them a day ahead so the syrup can thoroughly permeate the cake. It's great with coffee or tea--if you're concerned about fat in your diet, try this and you might not miss those high fat coffee cakes!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cream of wheat, uncooked
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups yogurt, plain
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup almonds, slivered or sliced
- 1 cup coconut, shredded (optional)
For the Topping Syrup
- 1Butter or grease a 9" x 13" pan and preheat oven to 425F (Note: Use an 8" x 8" pan for a half recipe).
- 2In a large bowl, stir dry ingredients, the cream of wheat, sugar, baking powder, until well combined--then add yogurt and vanilla (and coconut, if desired) and stir until thoroughly blended.
- 3Pour into prepared cake pan and sprinkle with almonds.
- 4Bake about 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 5While baking, heat 1 c sugar and 1/2 c water to boiling on stove and remove from heat after it boils for a minute or two--then stir in the lemon juice (and orange blossom water or essence).
- 6When cake is still warm, pour syrup over top.
- 7Serve warm or cold.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Namurrah or Cream of Wheat Cake
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 362.1
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 5.3 mg
- Sodium 101.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 52.3 g
- Protein 5.7 g