Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I made these yesterday to give out with my Christmas baskets and they are really very lovely! I made Christmas tree shaped and decorated with "ornaments" of candy.
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Quaker Oats (Quick or Old Fashioned, uncooked)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- decorator frosting or glaze
- holiday candy
- Beat margarine and sugar until creamy; blend in egg and vanilla.
- Add combined flour, oats, baking soda and salt; mix well.
- Divide dough into four pieces; wrap each portion in plastic wrap.
- Chill 1 hour. Heat oven to 350^.
- Roll dough onto lightly floured surface to 1/8" thickness.
- Cut with assorted, floured 2-3: cookie cutter or cut into desired shapes with sharp knife.
- Transfer to ungreased cookie sheet with spatula.
- For the name tag hold, cut hole in cookie with drinking straw before baking.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until edges are light golden brown; cool.
- Decorate as desired.