Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 mins
Autumn Eggplant in Spicy Sweet Vinegar Marinade. Chef Hiroko Shimbo's recipe for Victory Garden.
- 2 Japanese eggplants or 1 small american eggplant
- 2 small fennel bulbs
- 1 head radicchio
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced parsley, garnish
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 japanese dried red chili peppers, stemmed and seeded or 1 teaspoon dried red chili pepper flakes
- stem the eggplant and cut lengthwise in quarters . If you are using a large American eggplant, cut it in half crosswise, and then lengthwise into 6 pieces.
- cut the fennel lengthwise in quarters
- Trim and cut the radicchio lengthwise in quarters
- The Japanese dried chili peppers are called akatogarashi. They should be stemmed and seeded.
- Combine marinade vinegar, sugar, Braggs and salt in pot and bring to boil, stirring. Add chili peppers. Remove from heat. Transfer to flat container and set aside.
- In a wok, heat 2-inches of the vegetable oil to 350°F In small batches cook by adding the vegetables. They should be ightly golden, about 2 minutes. Drain the vegetables well in a colander to remove excess oil.
- While the vegetables are hot, transfer them to the marinade. Let the vegetables cool in the marinade, then cover the container with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator.
- Garnish just before serving.