Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
I sometimes have a hard time finding curry pastes in my local grocery store. Here's a recipe that I want to try to make my own. From The Elegant Taste of Thailand, by Sisamon Kongpan and Pinyo Srisawat.
- 13 small dried chilies
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 4 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped galangal
- 2 tablespoons chopped lemongrass
- 2 teaspoons chopped kaffir lime rind
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander root
- 20 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- Soak dried chilies in hot water for 15 minutes and deseed.
- In a wok over low heat, put the coriander seeds and cumin seeds and dry fry for about 5 minutes, then grind into a powder.
- Into a blender, put the rest of the ingredients except the shrimp paste and blend to mix well.
- Then add the coriander seed-cumin seed mixture and the shrimp paste and blend again to obtain about 3/4 cup of a fine-textured paste.
- This can be stored in a glass jar in the refrigerator for about 3-4 months.