Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
This is an original Ukrainian recipe for their Nalysnyky - pronounced: Nah-less-knee-key. A very tasty roll up.
Top Review by Rose Anne B.
I've made these a few times but instead of squeezing creamed cottage cheese I mix equal parts of creamed with dry curd and VOILA also I love the dill in it. Also instead of the whipping cream I use half and half.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk, homogenized
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill weed or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1⁄8 cup butter (for frying)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, for dotting
Directions See How It's Made
- TO MAKE CREPES.
- In a bowl, using a hand held electric mixer, beat eggs until light and fluffy.
- Add milk, water, flour and salt and beat until all ingredients are incorporated and batter is smooth.
- Heat a 6 inch frying pan on medium heat.
- Butter the pan lightly and pour about 1/4 cup of batter into the pan, swirling the pan until the batter spreads evenly in the pan.
- Cook crepes on medium heat for about 1 minute or until lightly browned.
- Bake on 1 side only, do not turn over.
- Continue to cook the crepes, buttering the frying pan each time.
- Place the cooked crepes on a platter and keep warm in the oven at 250°F.
- TO MAKE CHEESE FILLING.
- Place the cottage cheese in a cheese cloth and squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- Transfer the cheese to a mixing bowl.
- Add egg yolks, cream salt, and dill weed and mix to blend well.
- Remove warmed crepes from the oven and increase oven temperature to 350°F.
- Separate and place 1 crepe with the brown side down on a smooth surface.
- Spoon about 1 heaping tablespoon of cheese filling near one edge of the crepe.
- Start rolling the crepe over the filling, tuck in each side to prevent the filling from falling out, and continue to roll.
- Continue to fill and roll the remaining crepes.
- Place the finished nalysnyky into a lightly buttered 13 inch by 9 inch oven proof casserole dish in layers.
- Dot each layer with some butter.
- Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with melted butter, a dollop of sour cream or yogurt.