Prep 45 mins
Cook 55 mins
Wonderful cabbage, egg & cheese dish popular in Ukraine & Russia. Time consuming to make but well worth the effort.
- 1 head white cabbage (*)
- 1 1⁄2 cups minced onions
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry white bread crumbs
- 3⁄4 cup milk or 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar or 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 5 egg whites
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup cottage cheese, pressed & drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- white pepper
- *NOTE: Must have the outer leaves attached.
- **NOTE: Tvorog, a Russian cheese avalaible in Slavic groceries is what this is usually made with but the cottage cheese can substitute.
- Peel outer leaves from cabbage.
- Core cabbage.
- Blanch outer leaves in boiling water for 4-5 minutes.
- Set leaves aside after drining.
- Cut cabbage head into 1" chunks.
- Pour Milk/Half-&-Half into a large pot.
- Add cabbage, cover & simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Drain cabbage & mince.
- When cabbage was cooking you must have saute'd onion in butter.
- Use a large bowl. In ti you mjust mix cabbage, onion, bread crumbs, seasonings, & egg yolks.
- Add butter from skillet used to cook onions.
- Beat egg whites until slightly stiff & then fold into mixture.
- Mix well.
- Place a clean cloth such as a dish towel on your table.
- Lay your blanched outer leaves on this cloth so that they overlap.
- Be sure to place them so that they can hold the mixture.
- Place mixture in center of these leaves.
- Very carefully roll up leaves so filling is in center.
- Fold ends of cylinder into center so the mixture is enveloped completely.
- Bring corners of towel together & tie with a string.
- Place this into a colander to retain shape.
- Place colander into a large pot with 3" - 4" of water.
- Seal lid onto pot tightly.
- Bring water to a boil & simmer cabbage for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove towel package from colander.
- Place on a table.
- Open package & place cabbage bundle on a large platter.
- Invert platter onto another platter.
- Remove towel & serve.