Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Boy is it hard to find an eggplant Parmesan recipe that is not breaded and fried. This is a recipe I created to accomplish just that
- 2 eggplants
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 -9 basil leaves
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- Slice ends from the eggplant, then slice long ways into 1/2 inch slices. (Appx 8).
- Salt both sides and lay on a tray for 1/2 hour.
- Rinse slices and pat dry.
- Use Olive Oil mister to mist both sides of the eggplant (or brush on with a pastry brush).
- Place cooking spray in a pan and heat pan to medium high. Cook eggplant a few at a time until golden and brown on both sides.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray, and lay browned eggplant in a single layer on the pan.
- Evenly distribute the romano and shredded mozzarella over the pieces.
- Top each piece with 1/4 cup of Marinara.
- Slice the fresh mozzarella into 16 slices, and place 2 on each eggplant.
- Place one large (or two small) basil leaves on top of the mozzarella.
- Spray a piece of foil, and place over the tray.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 15 - 20 minutes.
- To serve, stack two eggplant slices on a plate.
Used the recipe for base to use up some spaghetti sauce...didn't have fresh mozz for toppings so used parmesan cheese
I made this recipe last night when I had my parents over for dinner and DH was not getting home until later. I found this recipe to be easy enough for me to prep without my usual assistance from DH and it was very versatile, so that I could just kind of wing it. I ended up with 16 slices from my two eggplants, so the winging it part just involved topping each slice with the cheeses and marinara (in amounts as originally stated by the recipe give or take) without really measuring it out, just making sure there was enough for all the eggplant slices. This worked out great. I used two pans in which my eggplants baked. This looked really pretty on the plate and was super delicious. We all enjoyed it very much and I would definitely make this again. Thanks for posting!
Delicious! I didn't miss the breading at all! This is a very cheesy and delicious dish, one that I'll enjoy often since my eggplant plant looks like it is going to do well this growing season! Thanks for sharing such a delicious recipe! Made for Photo Tag!