Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a Kashmiri, Indian dish. High in calories but good to enjoy once in a month! Real comfort food!
- 2 kamal kakri, grated
- 1 potato, boiled and grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 teaspoons cilantro
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 8 -10 pieces apricots
- 8 -10 pieces almonds, blanched
- oil, to deep fry
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 piece cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 1 green cardamoms, ground
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel powder (saunf powder)
- water, as required
- 3 tablespoons onion-almond paste
- 4 teaspoons yogurt, whisked
- 4 teaspoons cream
- ginger, julinennes to garnish
- 2 tablespoons khoya, grated,to garnish
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, to garnish
- almonds, blanched and cut into long strips,to garnish
- In a bowl, take the first seven ingredients.
- Knead well using your palms.
- Ensure that your palms are wet before you begin kneading, so as to facilitate better kneading!
- Knead and make koftas (small round balls).
- Flatten them.
- Put 1 apricot piece and 1 almond piece in each kofta.
- Roll koftas in cornflour.
- Deep fry till golden brown.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Now start preparing the gravy.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and the ginger-garlic paste.
- Saute for a minute or two until the raw smell of ginger and garlic is gone.
- Add the masala powders and saute again.
- Add some water, the onion-almond paste and some more water.
- Add the yogurt, but please keep the following tip in mind.
- Tip: Remove from heat while adding the yogurt.
- Add 1 tsp salt and stir.
- Strain the gravy.
- Add the koftas that you have made earlier and stir to coat in the gravy.
- Cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add cream and stir.
- Garnish with cilantro, khoya, almonds and ginger and serve hot on a bed of rice!