Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This comes from Nadine's Restaurant in Lexington, Kentucky. This recipe does call for chicken base, which is a thick paste sold in plastic tubs in the refrigerator or freezer section of specialty markets. Also, because this is a 4 layer lasagna (4 noodle layers), the thinner, no pre-cooking needed style noodles work best.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chicken base
- 2 cups parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 12 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 8 ounces provolone cheese, cubed
- 2 (9 ounce) packages no-boil lasagna noodles (enough for 4 layers in the dish)
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Add the diced chicken and cook until it just begins to brown, about 5-8 minute.
- Add the mushrooms, toss to combine, and set aside.
- In another pan over medium heat, bring the cream to a simmer.
- Stir in the chicken base.
- When chicken base has dissolved, whisk in the grated Parmesan cheese until melted.
- Whisk in the cornstarch 1 Tbs at a time until the sauce is very thick - thick enough to flow slowly in thick ribbons from the whisk.
- In another bowl, combine the ricotta cheese and the eggs.
- Stir in the cubed provolone.
- Heat the oven to 400ºF.
- Assemble the lasagna in a 9x11" lasagna pan.
- Ladle in just enough sauce to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Add a layer of no-cook lasagna noodles.
- Top noodles with a thin layer of the sauce.
- Then layer half of the ricotta mixture.
- Add another layer of noodles.
- Another thin layer of sauce.
- Now add all of the chicken and mushrooms in a layer.
- Cover that with another layer of noodles.
- Ladle in more sauce over that noodle layer.
- Top with the rest of the ricotta mixture.
- One more layer of noodles is finally topped by the rest of the sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minute.
- Remove the foil and bake for a few min more if you want the top to brown a little more.