Recipe by Sudie
Found this recipe on the box of Melba toast. It's good on crackers (or Melba toast) or as a salad, surrounded by chopped tomatoes.
Top Review by Caryn Gale
I made this for the weekend for a large crowd to eat with Yogi's Tasty Buns along with several other spreads. I love eggplant so I really loved this. I have made something similar in the past, but never with the dijon mustard. This really gave it a nice taste and it is on my diet. The only change I made was i used fried onion instead of fresh. My husband does not always love the flavor of fresh onion in a salad and i didn't want to leave it out so I just chopped and fried it first and then added it. It was great.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place eggplants on cookie sheet and bake for 80 minutes, turning every 20 minutes or so.
- They will be very soft.
- Cover eggplants for about 20 minutes, or place in plastic bag.
- Peel eggplants and let the pulp drain in a strainer for at least 10 minutes.
- Chop eggplant pulp on cutting board until it resembles mashed potatoes.
- Stir in oil with wooden spoon.
- Add mayo and mustard; stir until blended.
- Stir in chopped onion, add salt to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow flavors to blend.
- Serve chilled.