Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mom used to make this for me at Christmas, we are not Ukrainian and I am not sure where she got the recipe but its filling and hot and I haven't had it in a number of years.
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart milk, warmed
- 4 eggs, well-beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Saute chopped onion in butter.
- Do not brown.
- Turn heat to low.
- Add cornmeal to butter and mix well.
- Add the sugar, salt and warm milk.
- Stir slowly until the cornmeal begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the eggs and baking powder. Mix well.
- Pour into a greased 3-quart casserole. Bake at 325 degrees F. for 1 hour.
This cornbread pudding has a wonderful flavor. I cut the recipe in half, but did use only 4 tbsp of butter and one small onion. Everything else I cut in half. Next time I would cut the butter back even more, maybe 2 tbsp for a half recipe and 4 for full recipe. I was expecting something more like cornbread, and was thrilled with the wet puddingish texture, and the wonderful onion flavor. This is definitely a keeper. I'm so happy that I adopted KennKonn for Pick a Chef 2006.