Recipe by keen5
This is great as an appetizer or as a casual main dish for 4 to 6 people. Prep and cook times approximate. Serving amount is for appetizer.
- 12 corn tortillas
- oil (for deep frying)
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb chorizo sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 (16 ounce) cans refried beans
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped mild green chilies
- 3 cups monterey jack cheese (12 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup bottled taco sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 avocado, peeled,seeded and mashed
- 1 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut tortillas into sixths.
- Fry in deep hot oil until crisp.
- Drain on paper towels and salt to taste.
- Remove casing from sausage and crumble into a skillet.
- Saute sausage, ground beef and onion until meat is lightly browned.
- Drain off grease and add salt to taste.
- Use a large oven-proof baking dish or platter, about 10x15 inches or equivalent area.
- Spread refried beans on baking dish and top evenly with meat mixture.
- Cover with chiles, sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Drizzle taco sauce over cheese.
- This may be covered and refrigerated at this point for later use.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until hot.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with green onions.
- Put a mound of mashed avocado in the center.
- Put dollops of sour cream over all.
- Tuck fried tortilla pieces all around edges of platter and serve.
- Keep it warm over a warming tray, if serving as an appetizer.