Recipe by Ninna
This is my most requested recipe. Originally it came from our friend Steph but the recipe keeps getting passed on because it is just so good. I usually make double because DH cannot have the cheese or sour cream any more so I make one with and one without. It can be made with as much garlic and chilli as you desire. Hope you enjoy it as much as we still do after all these years. I had to guess how much cheese and sour cream I use, it depends on size of your dish. Also guessed on servings, at most parties you have other appetizers so it can serve many more guests.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 teaspoons chili, chopped (I use jar chilli)
- 1 (400 g) can red kidney beans, drained & washed
- 1 (400 g) can tomatoes, whole
- 1⁄2-1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 180 deg C (350 deg F).
- Sauté onion until soft, add garlic and chilli and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Add drained kidney beans and tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally - taste now and add more chilli if desired.
- Using a stick blender or food processor blend until reasonably smooth, although it is nice to have a little texture to show some red of the chilli.
- Put into shallow ovenproof dish and heat in oven 10 minutes - I use a white corning ware flan dish.
- Sprinkle cheese over top, (not too thick because it will be too hard to dip into) and pop back in oven to melt cheese.
- Add a large dollop of sour cream in the middle and serve with original flavoured corn chips for dipping - even fresh vegetable sticks are good with this.