Recipe by PtldGrl
For quite awhile there has been quite a debate about what to call this dish. I call it nachos, my roommate calls it dip and my mom calls it nacho casserole. Feel free to call it what you like, but be prepared for it to not last long. This is the one dish that I am constantly asked to make. Either to bring to a potluck or serve up at Superbowl. Its sooo tasty and really easy. Plus because you eat it with tortilla chips as a dip kids LOVE it. Not to mention the fact that it is really versatile. The leftovers make great burrito fillers for a new meal the next night... if there are actually left overs. Hope you enjoy! If entertaining double or even triple the meat and all ingredients and bake in foil pans for quick clean up. NOTE: Just to clarify, this is meant to be eaten with tortilla chips as if a dip. No forks or spoons.. one of the reasons kids love it so much! Its fun and tasty.
Top Review by bmcnichol
I had premade taco packets made up so this made for a quick lunch for my boys. I followed the recipe as written other then I didn't use the onions as my boys aren't crazy about them. They enjoyed this.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) packets taco seasoning
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 3 cups cheese, shredded (we use a mexican blend)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 (16 ounce) bag tortilla chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Brown ground beef and drain.
- Add the two packets of taco seasoning to the beef. Fill each packet with water and add to the meat and seasoning mixture. (or if using seasoning from bulk bottle, add about 1 1/2 cups of water) Stir well.
- Let meat simmer about 15 minutes covered or until water has evaporated and mixture is not soupy.
- In casserole dish spread refried beans evenly on bottom of dish, fully covering.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded cheese over refried beans.
- Next pour meat mixture over beans and cheese. Spread evenly.
- Cover with remaining cheese and top with green onions.
- Bake in oven about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with tortilla chips and desired toppings (salsa, sour cream, sliced olives, or diced tomato, etc.).