Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I adapted this recipe from a cookbook that my brother gave me. He got it while on vacation somewhere in the Southwest. It is a great appetizer or main dish meal.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 large red onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup taco sauce
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- tortilla chips
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a skillet, cook the ground beef until brown, drain fat and season to taste. Stir in onion.
- Spread beans in a 9X13 baking pan and top with cooked meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with green chilies, cheese and taco sauce.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with green onions, black olives, sour cream and tomato.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
We really enjoyed these "nachos" or what I usually call a 7-layer dip. I seasoned the meat with garlic salt, black pepper, cumin, and chili powder. Also, I used medium salsa instead of the taco sauce, and Mexican 4-cheese blend instead of the colby-jack. We had this for lunch and it was a very filling meal. Thank you for sharing.