Recipe by Kumquat the Cat's friend
Posted for Zaar World Tour 2005. I thought I'd never post a recipe I'd never make, but I think this is it. I DO only post recipes that sound very yummy, like this one. It's high in fat, so it's for those of you who think you can handle it. It sounds unbelievably good. I love nachos, who doesn't? From a special edition of Saveur, The Best of Tex-Mex Cooking. From San Antonio's Los Barrios restaurant, it's presumably "the most outstanding appetizer there is." Adding the water comment is my own addition.
- 2 1⁄2 cups refried beans
- 5 -6 ounces tortilla chips (homemade or top quality store-bought)
- 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 1 cup provolone cheese, grated
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon pimiento, drained and chopped (jarred)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Heat refried beans in a pan over medium heat until hot (add a little water, but not too much, if you think it's necessary).
- Spread chips out evenly on large oval oven-proof dish. Spread beans on top of chips, sprinkle cheeses over beans, and scatter jalapenos over cheese.
- Bake until cheese is completely melted, about 5 minutes. Garnish with dollops of sour cream then scatter pimentos over nachos. Serve immediately.