Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Nachos are a quick appetizer that everyone enjoys. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (September 1981)
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- Prepare Nacho sauce by pureeing sauce ingredients (tomato puree- oregano) in a food processor or blender.
- set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet to 350 degrees F (or when water splattered in oil sizzles).
- While oil is heating up, cut tortillas into eighths (8 pieces for each tortilla or 96 in all).
- Add tortilla pieces in batches to hot oil and fry until crisp and light brown.
- Drain on paper towels and continue frying until all are done.
- Arrange fryed tortilla pieces on an oven-proof platter and sprinkle with cheese.
- Spread with prepared Nacho sauce over top.
- Bake until cheese melts (5-10 min.).
I had lots of flour tortillas in the freezer and this was a good way to use them up. Crispy and tasty, with lots and lots of gooey cheese. The sauce was tasty, but not as fresh-tasting as I am used to from using salsa.