Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
The original form of this recipe was a family favorite the entire time I was growing up. I've done some tweaking to make it a bit healthier.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can mexicorn
- 2 cups baked corn tortilla chips (optional)
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef and onion; drain well.
- Stir in bell peppers, sugar, oregano, chili powder, kidney beans, tomato sauce, and corn.
- Simmer 10 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the moisture is absorbed.
- Top with cheese, if desired. You can eat this by itself, or use the chips to eat the mixture like a dip.