Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A tasty, low-fat soup with a little kick that my family requests often. Starting with au gratin potatoes makes it SO easy. This recipe probably came from Light and Tasty magazine, although I substituted fat-free cheese and skim milk to make it lower in fat.
- 1 (5 1/4 ounce) package au gratin potato mix (dry mix)
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 2 (10 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes and green chilies (I use Rotel brand)
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk or 1 1⁄2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 8 ounces fat free cream cheese or 8 ounces cream cheese (cut in pieces)
- 2 dashes hot sauce, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley sprig, minced (optional)
- In large pot, combine au gratin potato mix, tomatoes, and water.
- Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15-18 minutes until potatoes are done.
- Add cheese chunks and cook, stirring with a whisk, until the cheese melts.
- Add milk, corn, and hot sauce, stirring until soup is hot.
- Garnish with parsley.
Considering it`s quick easy and low in fat I`m giving it 5 stars. But I myself rather fattening creamy soup. Don`t get me wrong this is good! I would even put in some left over cubed chicken breast and top it off with some sliced black olives!.
So easy and so yummy. Nice thick and creamy texture. We don't like things too spicy so I left out the hot sauce and put one can rotel and one can diced tomatoes and it was great.