Recipe by Derf
Great appy!! from Better homes and gardens. Haven't tried yet, let me know how they turn out.
Top Review by angelina ballerina
These were really good. I put red peppers and scallions on top and served with salsa and sour cream. I also left out the seasoning salt, as it is full of MSG. A tip: use a knife to cut out the middle rather than a spoon. The first one I did I used a spoon and it fell apart.
- 6 medium potatoes, such as russet (2 lbs)
- cooking oil
- butter or margarine
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- ground red pepper
- 4 ounces colby-monterey jack cheese or 4 ounces cheddar cheese or 4 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- chopped tomato
- chopped sliced, sliced sweet pepper
- chopped sliced, sliced green onion
- chopped sliced, sliced pitted ripe olives
- chopped sliced, sliced fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Scrub potatoes, pat dry, rub with cooking oil, shortening, butter or margarine, prick potatoes with a fork.
- Bake for 40 to 60 minutes or till tender.
- (or microwave on high for 15 to 20 minutes till tender) Cut potatoes lengthwise into quarters.
- Scoop out the pulp, leaving 1/4 inch thick shells.
- Reserve the pulp for mashed potatoes or another use.
- Brush both sides of the potato pieces with the 1/4 cup butter or margarine.
- Sprinkle the insides with seasoned salt and ground red pepper.
- Place potato pieces, skin sides up, on the unheated rack of a broiler pan.
- Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat for 3 minutes.
- Turn potato pieces skin side down.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Broil 2 minutes more.
- Arrange the potato pieces on a heated serving platter.
- Serve with desired toppers.
- To make ahead, bake, scoop, and season the potatoes, place in a covered container and regrigerate up to 2 days.