Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Works best in the UK, sorry about that. Got it from a friend in response to a pitiful plea for decent nacho cheese...kind of like the kind you get in the 7-11...
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups of cold milk
- 175 g red leicester cheese
- 100 g soft cheese (philly, etc...)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon of chopped red chile (or the paste)
- Make a simple bechamel sauce with the flour, butter, milk.
- melt butter on medium heat, stirring in flour and cooking until golden.
- add cold milk, turn up the heat to med/high, and stir constantly to avoid scalding, stir until thickened.
- turn heat back to med and add GRATED red leicester cheese (has to be red leicester, won't taste right or be the right color other wise).
- stir in red leicester, add 100g of soft cheese, stir through until melted and smooth.
- add 1/2 tbs of chopped (really fine) chili's or red chili paste and stir in until smooth.
- take off heat and serve.
- also nice cold, has been used as the sauce for mac and cheese quite successfully, baked potato topping with bacon (kind of tastes like wendy's) and also -- if you want you can stir in some jalapeño peppers. (Make sure you drain them if canned.).