Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I saw this made on 30 Minute Meals with Rachael Ray. So good!
- 1 loaf French baguette
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (or 1 pickled hot pepper of any kind, chopped)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 -2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or Monterey Jack or pepper Jack)
- 1 romaine lettuce hearts (or 1/2 iceberg head, shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup green olives, chopped (or black)
- 1⁄4 red onion, chopped (or 2 to 3 scallions)
- 2 plums or 2 vine tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Split the bread lengthwise. Hollow the bread out and cut each half in half across, making 4 boats.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add oil, garlic and hot peppers. Drain the beans. Add half of the beans. Mash the remainder of the beans in the can using a fork. Add mashed beans to the pan and combine with whole beans. Season beans with hot sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. When the spicy beans are hot through, spread them evenly across all of the bread. Top with salsa and liberally sprinkle with cheese, covering bread to all edges. The boats will only be half-full. Melt cheese in the oven until it bubbles and begins to brown.
- Top the bread pizzas with lettuce, olives, onions and tomatoes and serve. Enjoy!
This was easy, fun and tasty. Made a great work night meal. I love anything that tastes like nachos, which is something I crave regularly but try not to eat. Thanks for posting this, will make again.