Recipe by byZula
This is a copycat recipe that I haven't had the opportunity to try yet.
Top Review by Teri's Mom
I made these as a surprise for my Dad,who is in a nursing home...we used to make them together,when I was little.He LOVED them,and wondered where I found his old recipe book ! I'll bet he won't be sharing any of these treats tonight !
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the sugars, molasses, shortening, butter, egg, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- In another large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, salt, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and beat while adding the water. Continue to mix until ingredients are incorporated.
- Measure a heaping teaspoon of dough at time. Roll the dough into a sphere between the palms of your hands then press the dough onto the cookie. Flatten to about 1/8-inch thick.
- Bake cookies for 10 to 14 minutes or until edges begin to brown and cookies are crispy when cool.