1/5 Photos of Naan (Indian Flat Bread)
1 hr 20 mins
These are easy to make and taste just wonderful! Prep time does not include 2 hours that you will need to set the dough aside. I cook these one at a time which will add up to about 60-80 mins total for cooking time!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt (room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons ghee, melted
- 1 cup of luke warm milk (may use a little less, just add gradually until soft dough forms)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed (optional)
- 1Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together into a nice sized bowl.
- 2Stir in the beaten egg, yogurt and 2 tablespoons of the butter/ghee.
- 3Gradually stir in enough milk to make a soft dough.
- 4Knead dough very well.
- 5Lightly grease bowl and cover the dough with a damp cloth and place in a warm place for 2 hours.
- 6Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- 7Knead dough on a floured surface for 2 or 3 minutes until smooth.
- 8Divide into 8 pieces.
- 9Roll each piece into a ball, and then into ovals about 6 to 8 inches long.
- 10Grease a baking sheet with oil and brush both the sides of the rolled out Naan with oil.
- 11Sprinkle one side with poppy seeds if you wish to use them.
- 12Place the Naan on a baking sheet.
- 13Bake for 6 to 10 minutes until puffy and lightly golden brown.
- 14The bread puffs slightly, and will lightly brown on the sides.
- 15You can enjoy these Naan's plain or with your favorite Indian dish, such as a curry dish!
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Naan (Indian Flat Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 401.9
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 53.9 mg
- Sodium 591.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 11.5 g