These are easy to make and taste just wonderful! Prep time does not include 2 hours that you will need to set the dough aside. I cook these one at a time which will add up to about 60-80 mins total for cooking time!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt (room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons ghee, melted
- 1 cup of luke warm milk (may use a little less, just add gradually until soft dough forms)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed (optional)
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together into a nice sized bowl.
- Stir in the beaten egg, yogurt and 2 tablespoons of the butter/ghee.
- Gradually stir in enough milk to make a soft dough.
- Knead dough very well.
- Lightly grease bowl and cover the dough with a damp cloth and place in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Knead dough on a floured surface for 2 or 3 minutes until smooth.
- Divide into 8 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball, and then into ovals about 6 to 8 inches long.
- Grease a baking sheet with oil and brush both the sides of the rolled out Naan with oil.
- Sprinkle one side with poppy seeds if you wish to use them.
- Place the Naan on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 6 to 10 minutes until puffy and lightly golden brown.
- The bread puffs slightly, and will lightly brown on the sides.
- You can enjoy these Naan's plain or with your favorite Indian dish, such as a curry dish!