Recipe by weever79
This recipe makes the best naan I have tasted outside of an Indian restaurant. I can't make enough of it for my family. I serve it with Falafel and hummus.
Top Review by Baby Kato
I am so impressed with your recipe Weever79. This is one of the nicest tasting nana bread that I have tried and best of all, I made it. It was so easy and really didn't take long at all. The flavor is outstanding. I didn't grill mine as it was raining here, so I just fried it up in a pan, it worked beautifully. The nana bread was light and airy and extremley flavorful. The addition of the butter keeps it soft and subtle. It lasted 3 days on my counter. I can't wait to make this again. It has gone into my Favorites for 2011... Kudos. Made for Fall Pac 2011.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy.
- Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth.
- Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise. Let it rise 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.
- Punch down dough, and knead in garlic. Pinch off small handfuls of dough about the size of a golf ball. Roll into balls, and place on a tray. Cover with a towel, and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- During the second rising, preheat grill to high heat (I use a griddle).
- At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle. Lightly oil grill. Place dough on grill, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned. Brush uncooked side with butter, and turn over.
- Brush cooked side with butter, and cook until browned, another 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from grill, and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared.